1. Stay at home unless you are hurt, as long as it is safe to do so. Instructions for dialysis patients may be available on TV, radio, or by phone or messenger. Depending on the nature of the emergency, you might want to call your dialysis facility or doctor, because he or she might be able to help you manage this emergency.
2. Take a fanny pack or backpack stocked with emergency supplies, food, and medication with you if you will be away from home when severe weather or a natural disaster is predicted.
3. Make sure your dialysis facility knows where to find you.
4. Start your emergency diet (see articles 146/147) as soon as an emergency situation is predicted or occurs, if it could delay your next regular dialysis treatment.
5. If you must go to a shelter, tell the person in charge about your special health needs.
6. If you need medical treatment, make sure your dialysis access is not used for anything other than your dialysis treatment. No one should use your access to give you fluid or medication.
7. Follow the instructions in this booklet to be prepared.
Remember: Hospitals may not be able to give you maintenance dialysis treatments.
1. Make arrangements for dialysis at your destination, or have necessary equipment or supplies delivered ahead of time.
2. Carry an extra 2-3 day supply of all your medicines/supplies in your hand-carried luggage and keep it with you at all times. A fanny pack or backpack may be more convenient. If your luggage is lost or misplaced, you will still be able to take your medicine until it is found or you can get another supply.
You need to carry information about all the medicines you take. List those prescribed by your doctor and any over-the-counter medicines you may take.
|Name of Medication||Dosage||Frequency|
|(Like 50 mg)||(Iike twice a day)|
Information obtained from The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) guide “Preparing for Emergencies: A Guide for People on Dialysis.” Go to this link for the full guide: https://www.rsnhope.com/resources/emergency_preparedness_information.php
Web ID 387